Monday, July 29, 2013

the positive pieces and opportunities

escalator by Digital Heather
escalator, a photo by Digital Heather on Flickr.

So my urban exploration / photography opportunity was awesome. I don't think I've ever explored an abandoned building before. I went with a friend and a group of local amateur photographers, otherwise I would have been too scared to go.

I took this photo yesterday. It's from an abandoned horse trotting park that's a few minutes from my house. It's been closed down since the 60s. It has an eeriness that beckons you from the interstate as you drive by. I've been itching to check it out since we moved to this side of the valley 8+ months ago.

I didn't get murdered. We didn't even see homeless people. It was incredibly hot and stunk with tons and tons of bird and bat droppings-- but I got some pretty decent pics. I'd like to go back when it's cooler and during a different time of day.

I realized last night that I would have never had this adventure if I was still pregnant. Traipsing around in asbestos and feces in an unstable building wouldn't have happened. So while a miscarriage can be devastating, you have to find the positive pieces and opportunities, keep finding them, and be thankful for them.

Check out the rest of my photos from the park here.

2 comments: